An essential guide to all aspects of car painting, for keen amateurs and professionals alike. With step-by-step instructions and illustrations throughout, Car Painting covers the entire process - from panel preparation to spraying and painting techniques - offering guidance and tips on painting your car to a professional standard.
With a focus on safety throughout, the book also covers:
- Selecting and understanding paint, including important legislation.
- Materials and equipment, and building your own paint booth.
- Preparing your car, including parts removal, sanding, chemical stripping and rust proofing.
- Masking and priming.
- Painting techniques - spraying, clear coats and drying.
- Stripes and custom touches, including two-tone, pinstriping and stickers.
- Polishing, reassembly and preservation.
About the authors
Matt Jones has been working as an automotive journalist and features writer for more than a decade. His previous roles have included Acting Editor of Practical Classics, and Senior Writer for TopGear.com and Top Gear magazine. He is currently the Digital Features Editor for British GQ, and regularly contributes to national newspapers and magazines.
Ian Taylor started in the motor trade as an apprentice panel beater with an Austin/Rover main dealer, in 1971. He then went on to work in other body shops before starting his own successful body and paint shop in 1981, which he still runs today with his son.